What can we do to encourage best practices in data protection?

datadriven
addressprivacy

Really good post today in ICTWorks. Here’s a excerpt that makes the stakes around data protection quite plain - though we can likely come up with a hundred, less dire, negative scenarios.

“Breaches could expose refugees or asylum seekers that are fleeing from persecution to serious human rights violations, torture, and inhumane treatment and ultimately, the deprivation of life. Instead of creating good impact, data becomes a negative externality that could potentially kill someone. Literally.”

My question for this group: What can we do to encourage best practices in data protection? What do we need to make it happen?

In my professional experience, the notion of Data Ownership is fundamental. Over the years I have consulted on data governance and the implementation of core principles of data protection and processing. I believe that to truly maximise the benefits of Data we should introduce governance and ownership across all areas and domains.

Nice to see that steps are being taken to strengthen the data security and sites need an SSL certificate for example https://epsonsupports.net/blog/fix-reset-ink-cartridge-epson/

Thanks