Introductions thread: What makes you tick?

asante sana

1 Like

I am from India currently pursuing my bachelors in technology in Information Technology.
Making myself a better person everyday and contributing my best for the society.
New and revolutionary Ideas ignitr me for development.
Cats.

1 Like

Hello @Praddyumn thank you for joining the Digital Principles Forum . We are glad you are here and look forward to engaging you in discussion and debate on The Principles for Digital Development as well as other relevant discussions on ICT4D. Happy Engaging!

1.Sam from Sierra Leone.
2. I am a beginner
3.To see how communities can use technology to improve the lives of people to better
4. Use technology to put sunshine to the youths who are national assets of any society and bring joy to the
poor of the poorest.
5. Cats or dogs are puppies

1 Like

Hello @samshekamoi thank you for joining the Digital Principles Forum . We are glad you are here and look forward to engaging you in discussion and debate on The Principles for Digital Development as well as other relevant discussions on ICT4D. Happy Engaging!

J’habite en Belgique - Bruxelles. : I live in Belgium - Brussels.
Je suis informaticien : projects manager : I am a computer scientist: projects manager
My challenge is : project digitalisation. :
J’ai toujours été intéréssé par la technologie.: I have always been interested in technology
Cats

1 Like

Bonjour @mghari Merci d’avoir rejoint le ** Digital Principles Forum **. We are glad you are here and look forward to engaging you in discussion and debate on The Principles for Digital Development as well as other relevant discussions on ICT4D. Happy Engaging!

My name is Gustavo Brant de Carvalho.

1. Hamburg, Germany; I’ll be in Paris for 6 months now.
  2. I’m a university tutor, but I’ve done internships both in architecture offices and at the UN-Habitat.
  3. Building cities that represent their inhabitants, enabling participation in governance and generating awareness for urban problems.
  4. I’ve worked in development cooperation before and I believe it is necessary to keep efforts to cooperate across borders.
  5. Both, but I have none. I sometimes take care of friends’ kittens. also #adoptdontshop
1 Like

Hello @GuzBrant thank you for joining the Digital Principles Forum . We are glad you are here and look forward to engaging you in discussion and debate on The Principles for Digital Development as well as other relevant discussions on ICT4D. Happy Engaging!

At present, I live in Manaus, Brazil, but my friends used to tell me “You are everywhere”. Depends on the assigment and work I am doing.
I am a senior level professional, but in the field of digital technology, I am a beginner.
I work now as a Consultant and this field requires knowing many areas which otherwise are dealt by separate teams. For me, this was the case with digital technology.
I am a lifelong learner, always learning new things and although I find the use of so many tools and softwares very confusing, I am sure that I will succeed in learning how to use a few of them.
I am very curious to explore how digital tools are used in the M&E field.
I had both cats and dogs in the past, but because they can not travel with me, it is better not to have them anymore.

1 Like

Hello @Cecilia thank you for joining the Digital Principles Forum . We are glad you are here and look forward to engaging you in discussion and debate on The Principles for Digital Development as well as other relevant discussions on ICT4D. Happy Engaging!

Hi Everyone from down under. My name is Mark and I live in Brisbane Australia

• What stage of your career are you at?
    I have just finished 24 years in IT at a financial institution (funds management) and most recently leading the IT team. Now I am re-steering my direction into IT4D or Tech for Good and specifically how advanced tech can be used to support the SDGs

• What are you current challenges?
    My biggest challange right now is absorbing the vast amount of reading on the topic of IT4D, especially as it seems to be in constant renewal as many parts of society take on the challange of sustainability.
    My second challange is to prepare for a volunteer role as an ICT mentor in the Solomon Islands as they assimulate the oppertunities that present themselves along with their up coming subsea internet cable connection.
    Third challange is using this editor without auto correct :frowning:

• What gets you fired up about technology and development?
    Getting fired up - excited - are the possibilites that advanced tech such as AI and blockchain can bring to developing and LDCs in addressing so many of thier societay, economic and environmental challanges.
    Fired up - angry - are the head winds to change

• Cats or dogs?
    No cats, one dog (Australian Cattle Dog), fish, choooks (chickens)

1 Like

Hi everyone! My name is Diego Menchaca and I’m the founder of Teamscope, a mobile data collection app for clinical and field research.

1. Where in the world are you? I’m based in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, although I’m originally from Chile.

2. What stage of your career are you at? Currently scaling Teamscope to reach more NGOs and ICT4D professionals.

3. What are you current challenges? Trying to reach more development consultants, academic researchers and NGOs that may be struggling with their data management.

4. What gets you fired up about technology and development? When we use any sort of technology (like this forum) without thinking of it, we expect it to be smooth – it just has to work. Now, when you are on the other end: actually developing a tool, transforming something that always starts out as a rough (and hopefully ugly) sketch on paper into a mobile/web app, it’s magical and exhilarating :rocket:

5. Cats or dogs? Dogs. Cats are fun and beautiful, but there is something about their worldview that doesn’t feel right.

1 Like
  1. Where in the world are you? Technically, Jordan. Practically, on travel in the Middle East.
  2. What stage of your career are you at? Just about 35 years in international development, and about 23 years in ecommerce and digital trade for development.
  3. What are you current challenges? Seeing the world reaching agreement on digital development standards, and finding opportunities to integrate digital policy development in business practices.
  4. What gets you fired up about technology and development? I strongly believe in the will of young generations to create a turnaround in the global digital culture. However, it makes me unhappy that many of the new digital platforms are not truly serving the Sustainable Development Goals.
  5. Cats or dogs? My daughter has a dog, named Daisy. I always fight with both.
1 Like

Hey Mark, welcome to the community! How is your volunteer role going in the Solomon Islands?? Would love to connect with you and hear about it, maybe write a blog on your experience working as an ICT mentor, as it relates to the Principles??

Welcome to the community, and really appreciate your insights! Would love to hear more of your thoughts about how you believe new digital platforms CAN serve the SDGs.

Wow! You’ve got some great experience years in International Digital Development. I’m just starting out in that field but have about 30 years in Info Tech and spent the last 24 years in a Financial institution (asset manager). I’m doign quite a bit of reading on the topic right now as I prepare for a gig in the Solomon Islands in March 2020 to help them with digital transformation relating to thier chamber of commerce.
I’d greatly appreciate to connect with you for guidance and advice as I progress with this journey.
Mark T

1 Like

Thanks Claudine, I don’t strat the asignment until March 2020 but I am doing a lot of reading on the topic right now in preparation. I’ve found the document on Implementing the Principles of Digital Development very informative and have been looking at the relavence to the SI situation as I know it at this stage. I’ve also found the SDG Digital Investment Framework 2018 doucment to be very useful aswell with great examples and a systematic approach. Nothing beats experience so I can;t wait until I can start :slight_smile:
A blog is a great idea and will look into that as I hope this forum will enable the cross sharing of experiences, oppertunities, knowledge, etc. Can you suggest an appropriate blog platform ?

100% agree, nothing like getting in the weeds!
I know you’re probably quite busy with work and preparing for this assignment, but could be interesting to do a mini blog series (500 words or less each) on your experience - so how the Principles/guiding documents are helping you prepare, let the community know about what your assignment will be exactly. Then would love to have some follow-up blogs on your experience actually implementing projects with the Principles in mind, and sharing successes, challenges, and what resources you wish the Principles had covered!

I would love to host this series on the Principles blog and we’d share it out on Twitter and here on the Forum, of course.

If that’s something interesting to you, let’s chat more - you can email me at clim@unfoundation.org

Greetings Mark,

I am trying to reply using simple “reply functionality”. I hope it work.

With pleasure, as soon as you start in our project, please let me know how I could be helpful any manner that clicks to your needs,

Best Regards

Rasim S. Abderrahim